Thursday, July 1, 2021

2007 Flashback Fridays: When Giants Roamed

My good trading pal Ken from Missouri sent over an unopened pack to me the other day, something 13 years old in fact, and something I'd never heard of before. It was the 5-card "starter set" for a 25-card set Topps put out in 2007 called "Flashback Fridays", and it features a bunch of larger-than-life ballplayers of the era standing, swinging or pitching inside stadiums.

You feel like maybe you've seen it before? Yep, you have - the 1988 "Broder Type" Baseball Stars series. That was an unlicensed series, and something that you can really only find on eBay. (I'm collecting those & would love to complete the set - want list here).

The 2007 Baseball Flashbacks series starter set that Ken sent me is cards #1-5, or FF-1 through FF-5. The other 20 cards go up to FF-25. They seem to be available on eBay as well. I shall proceed with enhancing my baseball card collection with them in time. Here are those first five.





5 comments:

  1. I remember getting those cards back in ‘07 but don’t remember the starter pack or where I got it. Are you going to collect the set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I actually found a seller of the other 20 and they are now on the way to me…!

      Delete
  2. This set is based on the 1933 DeLong Gum set.
    https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/6/1933-Delong-(R333)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no way. How about that. Thanks, Brett!

      Delete
  3. Love this card design! My dream is to one day own a 1933 DeLong Jimmie Foxx.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.