Friday, July 16, 2021

This Week's 10 New Cards To Crow About

Some good mail days this week! The Card Hemorrhage letter opener was kept busy, let me tell ya. I figured I'd pick ten representative cards that came into our headquarters this week for my Friday post, and let you take a peek at 'em. 

First of all, feast your eyes on one Vida Blue, "au jeu". This is a 1982 O-Pee-Chee winner of Vida during his San Francisco Giants days. He was one of my favorite players then, and he's one of my all-time favorites now. Had to have it. His deal from the A's to the Giants right before the 1978 season is another one of those stop-everything moments in my young life, a trade I parsed and analyzed and considered from every possible angle & which excited me no end. It didn't hurt that the '78 Giants were great, total overachievers much like the 2021 Giants appear to be. THOSE Giants ended up finishing 3rd in the division that year; we'll see what happens this time.

I also got some autograph cards. Check out these fellas!




All appear to be signed with the same blue pen, but I cross-checked these autographs with the ones on their real cards, and they look legit. So there you have it. 

Card #5 today is another for my growing collection of El Tiante, Mr. Luis Tiant. Thank you to Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown for this 1970 Topps!


Hey, here's another vintage card from a near-superstar of the era. I don't know, the more 1968 Topps that pile up in my house - and granted, I probably have, like, 15 of them - the more I think I might want to collect this set someday. Right now I'm focusing on 1965 above all else, but I'm delighted to get any 60s cards at any time, and go out of my way to grab them, no matter how common.


Let's jump to the present. These Giants represent the past/present (Buster Posey, in a 2021 Topps variation that's numbered #1612/2021), and the future (Marco Luciano, perhaps the team's top prospect right now. Brand new Onyx Vintage card). 



Finally, I grabbed these two 1980 Topps boppers, two of the kingpin home run hitters of the era. See you next week!


5 comments:

  1. The Dick Green is cool. He was a little before my time... but I've seen him honored by Upper Deck for being a part of those great A's teams of the 70's. His 1973 Topps card is cool too. If you're bored and have some free time... check out the card.

    https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/1973/Topps_-_Base/456/Dick_Green/1844864

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things were going so well until you got to the current Giants.

    I have more autographed Happy Hooton cards than almost any other player. But they're all Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must find a copy of that Vida!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.