Wednesday, July 28, 2021

2008 Topps Trading Card History

Now how cool is this set I'd never heard of? 2008 Topps Trading Card History was a 75-card set that glorified the card designs of the past using current players. Yes, I know, just like Topps Archives did before it, and subsequently. My trading pal Ken sent me a nice helping of these this past week, including an opened pack. I'm touched. I love 'em.

I think this Hideki Matsui card might be one of my favorite cards of all time now. It's supposed to be mimicking a "Japanese Caramel Card", but no clue as to which year. (Like I know anything about that series anyway). They called him "Godzilla", you know. I wonder what he thought about that, and what the larger Japanese-American community thought. There was a brief rumor mill going around that he was going to join the SF Giants, and I was all in except for the part where he couldn't field particularly well, being that it was the National League and all, with no DH and all.

Anyhow, these were the stars of 2008, and they're all represented on different designs from baseball's past. Here are 8 others worth taking a gander at.








2 comments:

  1. That Matsui is awesome! I'd love to add the refractor version to my collection one day. The Ichiro from this set is also pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you do the 'regular' trading card history 75 card set; you must complete the 50-card chrome version! Some of the poses are different....so be ready!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.