Friday, July 2, 2021

I Guess You'd Call It Vintage

Look, if 1970s cards are vintage then I'm vintage. It is what it is, I suppose. That said, I recently took a flyer on a lot of good-looking 70s cards on eBay - and turns out I was the winner of said lot. I thought you might want to check them out.

There were two big draws for me here. First, this 1976 Topps Rod Carew was something I thought ought to be a part of my collection.  Now it is. I remember when Carew was flirting with .400 for the better part of a season - and then when the Angels traded for Carew in 1979, my head almost blew apart. Carew was a total legend by that point, and when a player of that magnitude switched teams, it was a "big-ass" deal for an 11-year-old. Only thing that topped it for me was that Tom Seaver trade a couple years earlier. I was so excited I nearly started crying. Yes, I was that baseball-obsessed. 

This lot also had some Kellogg's cards from 1970 that I decided I really needed. Check 'em out!




This Aaron card, albeit a little off-center (in reality, not due to my scan) was on my want list for the better part of the past year. Now it is not.


You know who totally dominated baseball during my main childhood years? Well, after the Big Red Machine it was those '77 and '78 New York Yankees. I still don't like 'em. But I like these cards.





Speaking of the "Louisiana Lightning", Ron Guidry, this gem was also part of the lot:


More rookie pitchers, with one standing out a bit more than the others. No, not Jack Morris - Tim Jones! Look at that hair!


A couple of Catfish Hunters, one of which has just been packed up and sent to the guy who runs this blog:



OK, so here are most of the rest that came in the lot. Good times, good buyin'. Have a great weekend.





7 comments:

  1. Awesome cards, nice to see someone who properly appreciates Carew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catfish with the A's is a good get.

    LeFlore and Gates Brown played for the Tigers at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Morris and Guidry rookies, and love the other Tigers you got. I might have to look at eBay for older cards instead of trying to find some at shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A. I'm vintage too.

    B. 1970 is my favorite Kellogg's baseball design.

    C. Topps hooked the Yankees up with some fantastic action shots in 1978.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All great cards (because they're '70s cards). Those Kellogg's cards make the lot a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really nice '70s lot! Little bit of everything, and a lot of star power!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only ones in here that I would call vintage would be the Kellogg's. Love the Odom!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.