Thursday, July 22, 2021

A Small 1965 Topps Haul

My chief goal at last weekend's Sacramento card show was to come out with more 1965 Topps baseball, and 36 cards later, that goal was achieved. There were several tables with pretty good collections of '65s - some just selling commons, and another that had a bunch of stars/hall of famer cards in moderately OK condition (you might call it "Poor/Fair") and at a really good price.

I cashed in (or out) at both table types. This really is my favorite 1960s card set, for reasons I'm not particularly certain of. Just seems to be a wholesome set, full of All-American photos, flag pennants, goofy posed photos + players like Robin Roberts whom I associate with the 50s who were still around.

I don't know if I'll ever truly complete this thing - I suspect there are Mantle and Mays cards I'm going to need to contend with at some point - but I made a good dent last Saturday. Here are 9 of the ones I grabbed.








5 comments:

  1. Cool. I myself have been doing a "Strive for '65" set goal on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved that Jim Kaat card, and the Torre is cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous set. My favorite design of the decade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really beautifully colorful. The '63 set is, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a favorite of mine too. Completed it a few years back. My oldest completed set by several years. A '65 Mantle with very fuzzy corners was among my first big purchases after returning to the hobby as an adult. Good luck with the set!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.