Monday, July 5, 2021

Who's Been Sleeping on 2021 Heritage?

When it became clear to me and anyone who can add numbers numerically that the 2021 Topps Heritage baseball design was set to recognize the landmark 1972 Topps template - the art deco design that is one of the finest card designs of all time - I was like, yeah, this is going to be a smash hit. There are enough middle-agers out there (me being one of them) who remembers at least the remnants of original 1972 cards in kids' collections, if they didn't outright collect them themselves, and aside from the glories of the 1975 set, it was by far the best flagship Topps baseball design they'd ever again create.

Naturally Topps Heritage 2021 was going to be blockbuster, right? Well, judging from the lack of enthusiasm I've seen out there in the card blog universe, I reckon that either it didn't make quite the impact I thought it would, or it's just, you know - ho-hum, another year of Topps Heritage.

I suppose that leaves it to me - who loves this set and plans to complete the whole thing (here's what I'm missing) - to crow about the set as new 2021 Heritage cards trickle into my collection. I love how it looks, smells, feels etc. There are many quibbles with it that have been documented in the early blog posts of others that I've read - right when these were first released a few months ago - but nothing that put me off the trail of trying to get the 500 base cards and all the extras into my hands.

A recent CardBarrel order netted me another 15 or so that I needed. Here are 9 of them.








4 comments:

  1. My favorite thing about 2021 Heritage is the revival of the "Boyhood Photos" subset. That's the kind of thing you don't see in modern sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blaster on the way! Judging from what I've seen in Bunt I think I'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's so much ho-hum, but a reflection of how the market is right now and the unintentional production issues with the set (wrongbacks, missing card, etc.). I, for one, want to get this set, but when they are selling for 3-4 times the rate of past years' releases I can hold off for a bit. Besides, by holding off I've been able to get to within 2 cards of completing the actual '72 set itself. High numbers, go figure. I'll come back to the Heritage set when some sanity has returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to add this set to my collection... but won't overpay. As for building it, I just don't have enough access to packs or singles. If I can grab a complete set with SP's for around $150... I will. If not... it's not meant to be.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.