Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Two 1970 Topps Team Sets Looking Good

I don't have much of a hankering to collect the entire 1970 Topps baseball set, but I've been working on getting two team sets completed, one of which I just received the final card for yesterday. That would be the 1970 Seattle Pilots, who had pictures of themselves snapped for their big upcoming 2nd season in Seattle, only weeks before moving before the season to Milwaukee and becoming the Milwaukee Brewers. 

I've slowly picked off each of the Pilots via trades and single-card orders on eBay and Sportlots. This week, the final 3 that I didn't have arrived - Ted Kubiak, manager Dave Bristol, and the 1970 Seattle Pilots team card. I have to say it's a satisfying feeling. I've been able to assemble 1969 and 1970 Pilots sets, along with all sorts of long-tail Pilots ephemera including this set and some strange cards. About the only Pilots card thing I don't have is the 2018 Topps Heritage Seattle Pilots autograph set. Not a single card. They're, uh, pricey. Going on my want list now. Anyway, here were the final 3 cards I needed to complete 1970:




The other 1970 set I'm still working on is - surprise - the 1970 San Francisco Giants. Made a little progress this week with some heavy-hitting Juan Marichal cards and a few other gems. Willie Mays will be the big get in this one, but I was able to land both McCovey cards already.




3 comments:

  1. That Pilots team card is very cool. One of the funniest things I've seen in a while is the SB Nation/Secret Base history of Seattle baseball. I don't know why I laughed so hard when Jon Bois deadpanned "Pilots are gone" but it's stuck in my head now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with Chris. That team card is awesome. Cool piece of baseball history.

      Delete
  2. The best team card ever! I'm glad you tracked down a copy.

    (Also, got the PWE you sent yesterday, thanks again!)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.