Friday, October 2, 2020

Maybe I'm Collecting 1965 Topps Now

I'd barely gotten my plans to collect 1971 Topps, 1972 Topps and 1976 SSPC sets off the ground when I, um, added yet another set that I think I'm going to have to try and complete someday. 1965 Topps just look great to me - the pennant, the washed-out photos (reminiscent of an Instagram filter today - call it "Civil Rights Era"), the general before-I-was-born look and feel of it all.

I'm under no illusion that this will come easy, which is why, besides my 1965 Frank Robinson card, I'm starting with amassing commons, the guys that only freaks like me and you have heard of. Of the 598 cards, I've only got - well - 18 of 'em so far, so check back in a half-decade and I'll let you know how much closer I've come.

Commons in relatively decent shape can still be had for under $1, and sometimes even better when bought in batches on eBay, as I recently did for a few Twins and Pirates guys. This Joe Morgan rookie card and this Sandy Koufax card - well, those might take a little longer. In the meantime, because I think they're so good-lookin', I scanned everything I own from this set besides the Frank Robinson card. Take a gander.






6 comments:

  1. I've been trying to build this set for a long time. I have stalled on my "Strive for '65" build campaign. I started the resurgent attempt in 2014 to hopefully complete the set by the next April for my 50th birthday. I failed. I started the "strive" at 94 cards, I now have almost 50% of the set at 294 (49.2%) odd that number. Technically I have one more card that I haven't logged in from a COMC order I made sometime late last year. Other things in life and not wanting to spend a fortune have made me stumble on what should have been an achievable goal. https://captkirk42.blogspot.com/2014/01/strive-for-65-set-build.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also trying to collect the 1965 set, Figured I would do my birth year but have stalled a bit. I have 149

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my all-time favorite baseball card set. Perfect in every way. Best of luck if you end up deciding to build it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome - I love that design. I built the heritage version from 2014, and the O-Pee-Chee set from '65. It's a big set, but I suspect very rewarding to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. '65s look great in a binder. I was just observing the ones I have. It must've been mind-blowing to kids when it came out that year.

    It's my birth year set, but I'm not trying to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 1965 design is my third favorite Topps baseball card design of all-time... behind the 1956 and 1983 sets. Have fun with this project.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.