Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Nope, Definitely Not Collecting "Throwback Thursday"

I had sort of lost track of what was going on with Topps' weekly "Throwback Thursday" sets. I'd subscribed to email updates from Topps a little over a year ago, and ordered a 6-card Throwback Thursday set in the early part of this year because I thought it looked quite handsome. Blogged about it here, in fact. But I mean, yeah - these are just money-grubbing limited edition sets designed to make suckers out of all of us, right? Also - that and the fact that Topps started sending me emails every single goddamn day, to the point where I had to unsubscribe. Now I'm so unsubscribed that I can't seem to re-subscribe, even though I want to. So this is why I forgot about "Throwback Thursday" as a concept, and why I missed out on a few phenomenal-looking cards.

Folks, that's why there's an eBay. There will always be someone ready to make a buck off on top of someone else's buck. I'd seen a scan of Topps TBT set #39, which features "six lightning fast players, current and retired", based on a Topps "World on Wheels" design from 1954 (which is in itself a pretty cool set featuring cars - check it out here). It's in an edition of 1,665. There's a Trout card and a Luis Robert card and even a Trea Turner card. The first two I didn't really want to spring the $ for; the latter I don't think I saw. But the other three just looked so awesome that I bought them straight-up on eBay. I simply had to. Ricky Henderson you can see above. Here are the other two I went for:



I'll treasure them forever and always. But I wasn't done buying Throwback Thursday cards, or so I found out. Set #36 featured "six next-generation stars", and is based on a 1998 design. Well one of those cards was Mike Yastrzemski, or the "real Yaz" as we call him around here. Again, it was something I couldn't pass up, even if it was being sold by some grubby capitalist totally trying to exploit the dignity of my labor. But no, I am definitely, absolutely not collecting "Throwback Thursday" cards, no way.

5 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that the set they throwback to seems to be not a baseball set but a Non-Sport set the mid 1950s (54-55) "World on Wheels" sets. BTW I do like the World on Wheels sets and am halfheartedly trying to complete them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're throwing back to non-baseball sets a lot, from what I can tell. This week is a "Sports Illustrated for Kids" set...

      Delete
  2. These sets might be worth it to me if they weren’t so darn expensive, they included guys I actually collect, and if they would take a little time to write up decent backs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Throwback Thursday concept because of all the oddball designs. Doubt I'll ever plop down $20 for a full set, but it's been fun finding singles here and there on the secondary market.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like this set's design. I hope to add the Ichiro and Henderson to my collection one day. Problem is... I'm cheap. But who knows... maybe I'll find them sitting in someone's dollar bin one day.

    P.S. Received you padded envelope today. Don't usually open up packages until Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. Lol. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.