Tuesday, June 30, 2020

The Pilots Cards That Came After The Pilots

I've made no secret of my affinity for the Seattle Pilots, a one-year MLB team from 1969 whom I've written about here, here, here and here. Given that they existed for a mere year, and had Topps cards for only two years, they are eminently collectable and an "easy win", as they say (though I haven't finished up that 1970 Topps set just yet).

Now I'm interested in the more goofball, post-1970 Seattle Pilots cards that exist. We already talked about the 1983 Renata Galasso set here, but some other Pilots cards have recently come to my attention, and so I'm sprung into action, by the proverbial hook or crook. First, how about this 1992 Leaf Heritage Series Paul Molitor, bedecked in a full Pilots get-up? As you may well recall, the Pilots turned into Paul's Milwaukee Brewers in 1970, where they remain to this day (albeit in the National League now). Paul's card says "The Seattle Pilots would prove to be mistake", which I guess is pretty much the general consensus on the team.

Now this next specimen is not a posthumous Pilots card, but rather a 1969 Don Mincher card that Milton Bradley put out. Milton Bradley, like the game people? Anyone know if this was part of a game? I'm getting the sense that it was, if you look at all the code at the bottom of the game, as well as on the card's back. Me, I got mine via a COMC order, and it was quite inexpensive to boot. I suppose it's because it's, you know, Don Mincher and not, you know, Hank Aaron.

We already covered Mincher and Tommy Harper's lovely 1970 Kellogg's cards here, and while I think I've found most everything that's card-sized (i.e. not stamps or posters) that came out while this team was still around - with the exception of this 1969 Tommy Davis Deckle Edge card I still need to grab somewhere - most of what's to still be collected is "post-Pilots".

Here's a good one: Ichiro Suzuki in a Pilots uniform. 2010 Topps National Chicle Diamond Stars, #538/999. It even lists him as being "on" the Pilots, while giving his birth year as 1973. Wait a minute, that's.....impossible....


Finally, I recently became aware of the 1989 and 1990 Pacific Trading Cards "Baseball Legends" series. Perhaps there are more editions as well - my left hand is tired of typing and I don't feel like looking right now. But check it out - there are some Pilots "legends" like Gary Bell and Diego Segui! Thanks very much to Nick for the Frank Crosetti card as well. 


That's it for this week's edition of Pilots roulette. We'll see if I can come up with another batch that'll be worthy of yet another post.

7 comments:

  1. Yes, the Mincher is from a game. It's from the 1970 set, not 1969--the 1969 cards have the name above the photo.

    http://keymancollectibles.com/Gamestoys/miltonbradleyofficialbaseball.htm

    https://keymancollectibles.com/baseballcards/miscellaneoussets/1969miltonbradley.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. So why did the Pilots fail but the Mariners didn't? I hope there's a scandal involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SB Nation did a really interesting documentary on YouTube recently on the Mariners. Definitely worth a watch. It's a several part series. I think the Pilot failure was partially stadium related but can't remember for sure off hand.

      Delete
  3. I’ve always like the Ichiro Pilots card. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hoping the Ichiro would get a mention here -- it's one of my favorite cards of the modern era. Combines so many things I love (Pilots, Ichiro) into one tidy baseball card. (Glad you liked the Crosetti!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funding I guess. And apparently the Mariners almost failed. During the covid-19 absence of baseball, the MLB Network ran a show about the 199x Mariners (I forget the exact year).

    There had been a recent lack of fan interest, and there was a referendum on public funding coming up for a vote. A "no" vote would have meant the end of baseball in Seattle, but the team went on a winning streak and (I think) made the playoffs. Because of that, the vote was "Yes", and the team was saved.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.