Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Carrying On With The 1970 Seattle Pilots

One of my early joys here, now that I'm back collecting cards as I am, has been putting together the 1969 Topps Seattle Pilots team set - then finding out that there was a 1970 Pilots team set as well, photographed and assembled mere moments before the team packed up and moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. I talked about the '69 cards here, and scanned my first four cards in the '70 set here.

You'd think that collecting those two Topps sets would be the end of it, right? Get those two Pilots teams assembled and you're all done? Nah, it doesn't work that way. Trading Card Database says there are 463 of 'em to gather, if you're so inclined. Here's what I'm doing: getting those two Topps sets, picking off the two 1970 Kellogg's Pilots cards that I know about - and then figure it out from there. I'll skip the O-Pee-Chee version of the 1970s set, and maybe go deeper into a regional issue or two, perhaps something a gas station put out. They look really cool.

What you're seeing here are the 1970s Kellogg's cards for Don
Mincher and Tommy Harper. Relatively speaking, those were the guys that raked for the Pilots in their inaugural - and only - season in 1969. My Harper card is a bit beat-up, but it'll do for now. Keep in mind that he stole 73 bases for them that year - then went on to hit 31 homers for Milwaukee in 1970 (!).

I'm pretty smitten with both cards. Shlabotnik Report wrote about the Mincher one here. I guess my question to you folks out there is: once you've got the Topps and the Kellogg's, are there other Pilots sets and/or cards worth going after? I think I could be happy with this 1983 Renato Galasso set in my possession. There, I just added it to my want list (and just as quickly removed it, after finding the set on eBay for a decent price). What else?

I've scanned up all the 1970 Topps Pilots that I've added since my last post about them. I've still got twelve more to add (all listed here), and listen, if you've got extras of those lying around and enjoy trading with like-minded obsessives, I'm right here. That said, buying them online is fairly straightforward and not all that expensive, either. I'll be sure and give 'em a good scan-n-post once I've completed that set.


3 comments:

  1. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys adding any new card to my team pc's... but only if the price is right. I don't feel the need to chase down every card out there, because i'll never own every single one anyways. But you and the Pilots are in a different situation, since there are only 463 cards out there and as long as none of them are printing plates or one of a kind cards, you have a shot at getting them if you have the money to spend. Bottom line is collect what you want to collect as long as it makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’d go with what Fuji said and collect what you like and can afford.
    I believe a few years ago in Heritage when it copies the ‘69 set that they had a few Pilots cards and autographs as inserts if that interests you.
    Also, on the 1969 Topps reference page on my blog, I have pictures of all of the 1969 Topps Pilots cards that Topps missed out on. If you want to print them or just have me toss them into our next trade, that works too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd bet a lot of those 463 Pilots cards are buybacks and/or variations of the originals (OPC, Topps Venezuelan, etc.). I only know of a few more modern Pilots cards outside of that TCMA set (which I luckily found at the flea market for $5 many years ago). There's a couple other random Jim Bouton cards that feature him as a Pilot as well.

    https://www.comc.com/Cards/Baseball/2004/Fleer_Greats_of_the_Game_-_Base/115/Jim_Bouton/2606815

    https://www.tcdb.com/ViewCard.cfm/sid/9002/cid/183116/1989-Swell-Baseball-Greats-66-Jim-Bouton

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.