Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Big Time Timmy Jim

Before 2010 - before the three World Series victories - we SF Giants fans were in the midst of yet enduring another run of frustration, circa 2005-2008. All four were losing seasons, and the only real succor was this kid Tim Lincecum who was on the way up the organization. I started hearing about him in 2006, and then, as he was about to be promoted in 2007, I'll never forget the buzz and energy on KNBR (local sports station and Giants broadcaster) that entire week. Tom Tolbert was whispering "Lin-ce-cum...." at the top of every commercial break. The manchild who would save us and make us great again.

As you may recall, that's exactly what happened. Tim Lincecum won the NL Cy Young award in both 2008 and 2009. He helped us to win our first World Series in 2010. I seriously remember almost weeping with excitement when he came on in relief into an NL Championship game vs. the Phillies on only two days' rest. Of course he was going to blow it by Utley, Howard etc. Of course that's what happened.

I've talked before about how Pablo Sandoval is my favorite player of the modern, 21st century era, and it's why he's my top player to collect. Big Time Timmy Jim is right behind him, though. Just a phenomenal guy to be watching every fifth day for that relatively short period where he was dominating. A fun and hilarious human being - yes, I even had a "Let Timmy Smoke" t-shirt and I think pot is for dopes. (I also had a bootleg "Fuck yeah" t-shirt that I bought for $5 after a game - it memorialized this moment).

This is all by way of introducing my nascent Tim Linecum card collection. I'm just getting going with the guy. I'm happy to accept any relics, parallels, autographs or any detritus Linecum cards you have laying around, and will try to respond in kind. Maybe you hate the dude. Maybe you only liked him on the Angels. It's quite a mountain for me to scale - he and Posey were really our only post-Bonds superstars, with Bumgarner on the bubble a bit - but I'm willing to try.

Here's a bit of what I've got so far.






And finally, a nice crooked no-hitter scan for ya:

4 comments:

  1. Lincecum was such a fun guy and a great pitcher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, he was really good. Too bad it didn't last. He got pulled over and busted for pot about 2 minutes from my house back in 2009, hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tolbert is one of my favorite radio guys. Timmy is cool too. Every now and then, I try to find a cheap on-card autograph of his.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was so lucky to have tickets and attend his debut (vs Phillies on a Sunday night ESPN game) and his home no-hitter vs the hapless Padres (who he no-hit twice). Been looking for an on-card auto for a while, not many cheap ones available in the bay area!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.