Friday, May 29, 2020

1974 Caruso Phoenix Giants

Honestly, I expected it would be a bit of a grueling and expensive task to collect entire minor league sets from the 1970s when I set out to do so. Yet every time I try and find a Phoenix Giants set on eBay from the Me Decade, it's almost always there - and it's almost always going for ten bucks or less.

Take this 1974 Caruso Phoenix Giants collection that I just picked up for a whopping $5.99. No, there are no stars in there - unless you count our hero Mike Sadek as a star, as I do - and it's only 11 cards. Yet that's still only 55 cents a card, and as you can see, they're quite cool in a very DIY/minor league way. I don't know a ton about the Caruso cards in general, but they weren't just made for the Phoenix team - they were for all of the AAA / Pacific Coast League teams of the era: the Tucson Toros, the Sacramento Solons and the like. If the TCDB is to be believed, the first Phoenix Giants set ever to be created was this 11-card collection.

They kept it going for a while, as well - just check out how awesome the 1976 cards look - but Caruso had competition in the 70s from Circle K-branded cards in some years, Coke- or Pepsi-branded cards in others, and Valley National Bank in still others. I've been buying those up as well, sometimes for as low as $2.99 a set. The Carusos - at least these 1974s - don't have anything on the back, so that's a bit of a demerit - but otherwise they're definitely something I like having around.

Ladies and gentlemen, your 1974 Phoenix Giants!


1 comment:

  1. A few weeks ago, Julie over at A Cracked Bat wrote about Dimebox Nick sending her the famous book: Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book. Either that night or the next morning, I pulled my copy off of the shelf and flipped through it. After seeing that Rocky Bridges, I remembered something was written about him in that book. I just checked... the author stated that he "looked more like a ballplayer than any other ballplayer who ever lived". If you look up his 1959 Topps card (the one used in the book), you'll see what he's talking about.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.