Tuesday, May 5, 2020

A Few '72s - Because We Love '72s

Not sure if I'm ultimately going to go all-in on 1972 Topps and get the full set, but I really enjoy the look of these things. It was retro the day it was released, though I'm not sure that was the intention. I've already collected the entire 1972 Topps San Francisco Giants team, but there's a part of me that wants to pour it on with this set and go all the way.

It may be that I'm into this era because I was barely sentient when it was occuring. I turned 4 as the 1971 season was coming to a close. I missed Vida Blue's historic year, and Mickey Lolich's 25-14 record. I missed the Pirates beating the Orioles in the World Series. That said, when I did get really into baseball in 1977, I bought some used "preview magazines" from this era, and read them cover to cover. Guys who were totally out of baseball by the time I learned about them - Harmon Killebrew, Frank Howard, 1971 NL MVP Joe Torre - were absolutely still raking in '71. I was fascinated with these relics from another era then, and I'm still moderately fascinated now.

So here are a small handful of the 1972 Topps cards I have purchased or acquired, with many more to go. All picked up at Lefty's Sports Cards in Burlingame, CA - my local card shop. May it please open again soon.




10 comments:

  1. Wonder if Gaylord Perry and Tommy John are looking at the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Young Mickey Lolich gets the win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Killebrew definitely is one of the best from this set, but nothing can beat Billy Martin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another '72 Killebrew sighting! These are great cards, the only one I have is the Foster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur! I just completed the '72 set a couple years ago. And you're going to see exactly how much I concur in maybe a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I suspect that means a mega-post is coming. I'm glad to hear it. I just read a ton of your site last night, and it's always a blast to do so.

      Delete
  6. It'll be interesting to see how many card shops survive after this shelter in place order. I guess the good news for you is that Lefty's is a pretty solid shop with a great reputation and the ability to attract some popular Bay Area athletes to come sign for their customers.

    P.S. Love the '72 set. The unique design, border colors, cool subsets, and the fact that this is my birth year set have always made these cards attractive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Retro the day it was released" - a lot of people call it psychedelic but to me it looks like a 30s-40s Hollywood marquee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I think of it - art deco/movie marquee. The stars! It's a great design.

      Delete
  8. The '72 set is an ode to Peter Max and his artwork. I can see the '30's art deco theme also.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.