Friday, May 15, 2020

Uh Oh. I Knew The Hockey Card Thing Was Going To Happen.

As a kid, I was baseball-first, no question about it. When I started buying sports cards in 1976 and 1977, it was Topps Baseball only - and honestly, in Sacramento, CA, where I grew up, I only remember baseball cards being available at the local 7-11. I lived and breathed the sport; read everything I could about it; watched every game on TV; and bought cards with every quarter that fell into my pocket.

We moved to San Jose in 1978, and two things morphed me into an NHL hockey fan: one, my local Quik Stop store sold every kind of sports card, and two, ESPN debuted in 1979, and not only did we have cable TV, but I had a lot of time to watch it.

ESPN showed NHL games early on. The NHL and WHA had just merged. I remember watching the Hartford Whalers, Quebec Nordiques, Edmonton Oilers etc. and being fascinated with the teams who were not the Bruins, Canadians, Blackhawks etc. whom I'd read so much about. So where hockey cards started showing up at Quik Stop, I bought pack after pack. This kid Wayne Gretzky was blazing through defenses and becoming so well-known that even some Americans talked about him (I even owned this card, but I'm pretty sure it was purged from my room by my mom when I left for college). Still, hockey really seemed like someone else's game, and it had zero presence in my elementary school nor in the Bay Area's sports pages.

That was sort of what I liked about it, and it presaged my own snobbish positioning of my tastes around alternatives - especially music. You like mainstream pop music? OK, I like punk. You like pro football and baseball only? OK, check out my Winnipeg Jets cards. Both the punk thing and the alterna-sports thing has carried on well into this day, forty years later. I still put together a music fanzine and podcast called Dynamite Hemorrhage, and yeah, I still follow hockey relatively closely. We even have a team here now, maybe you've heard of 'em.

So when I returned to collecting baseball cards recently, I knew that the lure of hockey cards would follow. Baseball's still, and will always be, #1. But I got to thinking about how cool it would be to put together sets of all of the 70s California Golden Seals teams; maybe collect a bunch of the defunct WHA teams from that same decade; maybe pull together some Kansas City Scouts and Cleveland Barons; maybe get a collection going of my all-time favorite player, Patrick Marleau....

And here we are. I'm deep in the "California Golden Seals" phase of the program. It's not difficult at all - they're quite inexpensive, and there aren't that many of them. I suspect I'll have at least all of the Topps cards by this summer, and maybe will move onto some other specialty sets from there. I would not be surprised if I'm gripped by a bit of hockey card mania from time to time, the way I have been with baseball over the past year. I'm not expecting this blog to turn into a joint baseball/hockey card blog, but just thought I'd highlight this weird and totally unsurprising new chapter in my collecting odyssey.

5 comments:

  1. "it presaged my own snobbish positioning of my tastes around alternatives" - I was definitely that kid, and I still am in a lot of ways. I fell like I'm always on the outside of the mainstream - sports, music, tech..even politics. Hockey was my favorite sport for a long time and it wore me how most Americans disrespected it and most Canadians feel like we don't deserve the NHL as a result.

    Anyway..I'm jealous that you got to watch post-merger NHL games on ESPN and that your local shop stocked cards from all sports. I just picked up that Harry Howell card on COMC a couple weeks ago - but who knows when I'll receive it :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris, thanks for the comments. ESPN was really barren in the early days, but I just loved the idea of teams from places like Winnipeg and Hartford and Quebec City, where I'd never been and knew nothing about. Plus I really liked the game, so I watched as much of it as I could. There were no box scores in the San Jose Mercury-News, just one line of scores, so the only way to connect to hockey was the rare Sports Illustrated article + these games on ESPN, which were also recapped on early Sports Center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the Seals!

    Well ... I remember their hockey cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I collect Seals too. It's been one of those collections that have been brushed off to the side for a few years, but I still wear my Seals jerseys around every now and then. By the way... if we ever meet up at a card show, remind me... and I'll bring you a bunch of Marleaus. He's my favorite player too and I have tons of extras.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.