Friday, April 17, 2020

A Few 1970 Seattle Pilots

As I was collecting the '69 Seattle Pilots set I wrote about yesterday, I found out to my surprise that there had actually been 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots cards as well. While the Seattle team was struggling with bankruptcy and figuring out their next move, Topps had a 1970 set to create, and did so accordingly. Weeks later, the team was bought by a young entrepreneur named Bud Selig, and moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers whom we know and love today.

Most of these dudes went on to Milwaukee with the team. The Brewers were 1 game better than the 1969 Pilots, losing only 97 games to the Pilots' 98. So out of the blue a few weeks ago, Mike from Junk Wax Dig offered to send over a few doubles he had from his 1970 "Pilots" set. I was more than happy to accept them - and I reckoned I now had a new team set I'd want to complete. I do, and I will. It's certainly not the case that these guys are bank-breakers.

Here are a few more gems from that 1970 Pilots/Brewers team. Special attention to Gene Brabender, please!

8 comments:

  1. There's a Pilots team card in the '70 set and it's probably my all-time favorite Pilots card. Trouble is, it's a super high-number (somewhere in the 700s) and kinda expensive. I got lucky and found one relatively cheap (five bucks, I think) at a show a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now you've whetted my appetite. Which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he means this: https://images.app.goo.gl/RS26BbZpaaY1vvN48

      Delete
  3. Bug Selig? Not sure if that's a typo or an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if you're a Kellogg's guy, but there are two Pilots in the 1970 set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. I've always wanted to track down a Pilots card with the full uniform. The Hovley is a really nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out RetroCards at thecowboysguide.com.

    They make cards that never were, mostly football, but also 1970 carda for the "Brewers".

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.