Monday, April 13, 2020

A Package of Giants from The Lost Collector

Here's a few ringers sent to me by upstanding patriot AJ, who runs the excellent blog The Lost Collector. AJ's a Yankees guy - perhaps the foremost Tino Martinez card collector on God's green earth - and so when I told him I was a Giants guy, he was like, "You want some Giants cards, comrade?". I told him I did. Today, those cards arrived, and I'm much the better for it.

Totally loving what I got, too. Here's my #1 favorite Pablo Sandoval's "1st Home Run" commemorative card from a 2015 Topps series. I'm not sure the scan quite shows it, but Pablo slugged that thing on August 27th, 2008. This was around the time we were all wondering who this kid was that the Giants called up and installed at third base that we'd never heard of, the one who just kept hitting and hitting. Great card!

Also got a few Barry Bonds cards in the mix, too. Booooo. Steeeeeeeeroids. Is it fair to say I have "complicated" feelings about Mr. Bonds? I think it's fair. This recent article in The Athletic is a really good one about him. I saw him, in person, hit some of the most monster home runs of all time, including at least one walk-off, all the while knowing that he was one of the most despicable and loathsome human beings on the planet. I'm really glad to see the back of him. Not my favorite era of Giants history. But totally psyched to get an 18/30 1995 "Kraft Singles Superstars" card of his! Maybe he wasn't doping that year? Maybe??


AJ also sent along an autographed Donruss Playoff Contenders 2008 "Rookie Ticket" for one Rafael Rodriguez. For the life of me, I don't remember Rodriguez! I checked it out, and there's a good reason - he never made the bigs. But here he is, swinging with moxie and panache. Now I have his autograph, baby!


These other dudes, you know 'em. You love 'em like I do. Well, except Bonds. He's an idiot. Just delighted to get this mix of cards from AJ. Check out his blog The Lost Collector and send him some Yankees if you ever get the chance. I did, but I suspect they're not one-tenth as cool as what he sent me.


3 comments:

  1. That Donruss Bumgarner is a nice card without being flashy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kraft Barry is really cool. The hobby could use more food issue cards these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed. Just a random sampling of cards/sets you might have missed over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.