Wednesday, April 15, 2020

My Vlad Cup Runneth Over

This guy. Vladimir Guerrero. I decided to collect his cards, put the word out on this blog that I was open to trading for his cards, and here we are. Now I'm doing just fine on Vlad cards, and I've really been able to procure some great ones thanks to my trading partners.

Case in point is this new haul from Nick at Dime Boxes. He kindly sent me a whole suite of what I like to call "idiot cards" - you can see some good examples on his most recent blog post - but he also had a bunch of Vladimir Guerrero doubles and leftovers that he thought might look better in my collection - and who am I to argue with such impeccable logic, right?

My first couple of Vlad batches were mostly Vlad-on-the-Angels cards, which I talked about here. Now thank to Nick I'm rocking many more Vlad-on-the-Expos as well, including some rookies and many from those bizarre-world late 90s/early 2000s card brands that I'm still getting a handle on - the ones that aren't Topps, Donruss nor Fleer (or if they are, they're sub-brands that I didn't hear about while they were at their peak, during the time I wasn't paying attention to cards).

I scanned a few of the exceptional cards that Nick sent over. I now have more Vlad than any other player save for Pablo Sandoval. And oh man - do I still have a ways to go, too.



6 comments:

  1. Pablo Sandoval, Panda, is also one of my favorite players. Especially his cards that are blowing a bubble. Do you have his bobbleheads that are also blowing a bubble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any of his bobbleheads, no. That would take my collecting into a new and unknown realm. I DO need more blowing bubbles cards, though, for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked 'em! Believe it or not, I've still got a lot of Vlads to send you in the next package. Having a big player collection means accumulating a lot of doubles (and triples, quadruples...) sometimes. Expos Vlad is obviously my favorite, but a part of me loves those strange Rangers and Orioles Vlad sightings as well later on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly had zero remembrance of him on the Orioles, although he hit pretty well over there that final year in baseball....thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I've got a small collection of Vlad too... but technically I guess he's really part of my Expos PC. My favorite from this lot is the 2003 Playoff Portraits. Those are really cool cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Vlad is awesome. Really wanted Yanks to get him instead of Sheffield back in the day. I bet I have a few Vlads I can send your way.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.