Friday, March 26, 2021

Another Dip Into Topps Throwback Thursday

It has been heartening to know that it's possible to "dip in" to some of the online-only Topps Throwback Thursday cards on eBay, long after they've sold out on Topps.com, without having to - you know - wake up early on Thursday mornings and spend $14.99 to buy two cards.

I haven't actually done that at all, except for this one time, but I have gone onto eBay a couple of times and cherry-picked a few cards that I thought I might wanna have around. In case you're unfamiliar with the conceit here, what Topps does is pick some classic design of theirs from any card run of the past - doesn't matter the sport - and then apply to a couple of cards or to a small set. I totally loved this one they did based on a 1954 "World on Wheels" set that they then applied to some current and classic base-stealers. I did scoop those up. 

This week I got a few new ones from "TBT", as those of us in-the-know hipsters call it. You may recognize the design of the Vida Blue and Brooks Robinson cards from 1971 Topps Basketball, which is such a cool design I'm tempted to collect those, too (though 1972-73 Topps basketball is even better). 


Also picked up this Shohei Otani card - he's one of the players I actually collect in bulk - and I've learned that this one is based on 1980 Topps "Wanted" design, whatever that is:


These two gems are based on a 1959 Topps Football design. Man, I need to find out if there are more of these. I actually didn't have a single Jacob DeGrom card in the collection, far as I know...!



Then there's this guy. Honestly, I really want him to succeed - not just because he's brash and exciting; not just because he just got a bunch of money thrown at him; not just because San Diego deserves to win a World Series with him collecting an MVP, based on the methodical and smart way they've built their team - but no, Fernando Tatis Jr's success to that level means that it might also mean that the Los Angeles Dodgers don't repeat as World Series champions. And that's something we can all get behind, isn't it??

7 comments:

  1. Rooting against the Dodgers. Have money on the field.

    Gibson wins the round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that having money on the field when rooting against the Dodgers is a fool's errand, so I just make snarky comments on my dopey card blog instead.

      Delete
  2. I am definitely not an "in-the-know hipster".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I love that Vida Blue card. Kinda makes me wish they had used the design for a baseball set, although certainly not over the actual 1972 design. Maybe instead of 1976 or 1977?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came close to buying that Vida Blue directly from Topps, which would've been a first. I really like the Throwback Thursday idea, but the cards are way too rich for my blood, which is why I'm content with picking them up secondhand on COMC or wherever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Vida Blue is awesome! And I'm definitely rooting for Tatis and the Padres. Hopefully this season ends up living up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.