Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Been a Long Time Since I '75ed

How long has it been since I was accumulating Topps cards from 1975? Well - how about 45 years? Yeah, aside from the SF Giants team set I picked up last year, I haven't put together two 1975 Topps cards since the year of our lord 1976, when I was nine years old and discovering baseball cards for the first time. Some stores like 7-11 or Quik Stop or Circle K or whatever was around back then would have not just the '76 Topps cards to buy, but older packs of '75s as well. 

In my home state of California, I only got the 1975 Topps Minis - a set, which if I understand it correctly, "...was identical to the regular issue with the exception of size and distribution." (Read here). I've been told that the "distribution" part of it was limited to certain states; I was living in Sacramento at the time, and like I said, I only knew about the mini set then - I never bought, nor saw regular-sized cards.

Anyway, Ken in Missouri has been funneling some amazing stuff my way in trades. He sent me these five winners and I got them yesterday. I'm going to collect this set someday; they're the coolest. Also loving the David Clyde card - this guy was the #1 pick in the draft and is famous for an early flame-out (and for arm troubles, in an era when nobody really watched for them). 

Here are the others Ken was kind enough to send me:




5 comments:

  1. I can see why people like them. I just can't over my aversion to the fake auto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2nd favorite set of the 70's... and Top 10 all-time. Love the bright colors and the mini baseball with the position inside of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think those plastic-y jackets that players wore int eh 70s must've been very uncomfortable. Mel Stottlemyre looks like his arm must've even very hot under there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatest set ever!

    Yeah, when I wrote my Beckett story about '75 minis, I mentioned that they were only sold in the Pacific Northwest (particularly northern California) and Michigan. But weirdly, I was buying them in upstate NY that year!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.