Wednesday, March 17, 2021

The Prospects Who Made Something of Themselves

I've got a soft spot for prospect and minor league cards of all types, not merely because they often look cool and represent teams called the "Bay Bears" and "RiverDogs" and so on. They're also a window into the promise of what (in most cases) might have been, when everyone toiling in the minors was on a theoretically equal plane, and getting on a card in a set with your first-rounder teammate meant that maybe you too were on a path to the majors like them. This was a time in your career when "all things being equal" actually meant something. You rake or you pitch well, and you'll get promoted.

Then there's the few guys who actually did make something of themselves in the majors. Most of the prospects I've accumulated did not, as is very much to be expected. I like the minor league-only guys nearly as much, and will continue to grab them where I can. I have Kevin - the Diamond King - to thank for 8 of the 9 fantastic cards in this post: everyone except for the Tim Salmon you see here came from him in a surprise batch this week, including some autographed cards.

Kevin also included some dudes who didn't quite make it - but this time we'll post up the dudes who did.








7 comments:

  1. This is the reason I collect Rookies of the Year. I like to look back at their careers and see who enjoyed continued success and who didn't. The top two players and the very bottom player in this post are ROYs that I collect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruiz wins the round. Longoria was pretty good though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Tristar cards were also nice looking with a signature.

    I forgot Morneau was a catcher once upon a time. I guess he was blocked in Minnesota, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally what I was thinking, too. I associate Morneau and Mauer like two sides of the same coin. Good thing they were able to convert him. You know Pablo Sandoval was a catcher, too, coming up more or less at the same time as Buster Posey?

      Delete
  4. I liked opening those late 90's/early 2000's Upper Deck minor league prospects in hopes of scoring an autograph of someone who might end up making a name for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw that Pedroia card before...outside of growing facial hair he really hadn't changed over the years...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.