Saturday, March 6, 2021

1965 High Number Special

Took a bit of a card-blogging break the last 9 days, as one does. I even took the collecting and the ordering down a notch for a bit as well, which means I can come roaring back this weekend.

I'm trying to figure out which of the three 1960s-70s Topps baseball sets I want to go the most all-in on. My four favorite sets of the era are 1965, 1971, 1972 and 1975. Of those, I'm furthest along with 1972, but still have miles to go there. 1975 is one I haven't even started, aside from collecting all the SF Giants cards. I'll take that set up somewhere down the road. But if I have to focus - and I probably should - where should I focus? Perhaps it's on 1965. Those cards are fantastic. 

I recently picked up a few to fill in the many gaps in my set so far, and I only picked up cards #500 and above. There were 598 cards in the set, and there are some really heavy hitters in there - guys it's going to be tough to afford: Koufax, Mays, Clemente, Mantle. (I do have Frank Robinson, though). I, of course, bought some of the folks you can get for $0.50-$2 per card instead. Here are a few of the recent arrivals - some scanned pretty crookedly by me! - that got me 8/598s closer to set completion.







3 comments:

  1. My favorite four in chronological order would be 1960, 1965, 1972, and 1975.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go with '71 myself, but for anyone else, I'd say choose whichever one you can add the most to for the least amount of money.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.