Friday, March 12, 2021

Hell of a Mail Day

This past Saturday night I had to bring the family dog to a canine emergency room in Redwood City, CA - no worries, he's okay. That said, it occasioned me the opportunity to sit in my car for 4.5 hours while I waited for him to be treated and discharged, as humans weren't allowed into the pet hospital due to our pandemic-ridden times. It therefore occasioned me the opportunity to also order several cards on my phone, all of which arrived in a whoosh yesterday on what you might call a "hell of a mail day". 

Let's start with the 1965 Sandy Koufax card that I talked about earlier in the week. I bought it for a big $2.87 from a seller on eBay. That was the Buy It Now price, not an auction. It looks and feels like an authentic '65, but I'm 99% sure it's a total phony. The blue on the back is a pantone shade lighter than on my other 1965 cards, and of course, this card isn't worn at all, 56 years after its supposed production. I like looking at it, but it's a fake all the way. 

Thankfully my mail day presented all sorts of non-fakes as well. I bought all five of the 1986 Topps "Turn Back The Clock" cards, because "cards on cards" is a phenomenal concept. These were, I believe, about 25 cents each on CardBarrel.



Also got an /50 from my new pitching hero Max Fried, from 2020 Donruss:


....and my other 21st century pitching hero Tim Lincecum - just a 2008 Upper Deck Series 2 base card of his that I didn't happen to have.


I "took part" in Jim at Cards As I See Them's "(Almost) Free Card Friday", in which I was able to send him a couple things from his want list in exchange for a few things he was offering up. This is what I claimed, and what I was fortunate to receive in the mail yesterday; that's Trevor Hoffman (2000 Pacific Aces del Diamante), Frank Robinson (2014 Panini October Heroes) and Willie McCovey (2005 Upper Deck Past Time Pennants):


Tucked into a relatively small CardBarrel order - the one that yielded those Turn Back The Clocks - was a handful of 1972 Topps on my want list. I didn't scan all 10 or 12 of them here, just Manny Mota, as a representative example of the glories of the 1972 set.


It wouldn't be a truly epic mail day without a new Pablo Sandoval card:


Finally, I got a little closer to my relatively easy quest to complete the San Francisco Giants Allen & Ginter team sets from 2006 to the present. I'm mostly working backwards. Here are a few ringers that showed up yesterday.



8 comments:

  1. If it seems too good to be true...

    I like the Upper Deck Lincecum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're dog is okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lookin' Willie Mays card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good lord, I will never understand the mind of people who fake cards. Yeah, I know, "money" but how do they live with themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You worked quick on that Lincecum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's annoying searching for specific vintage cards on eBay because of all the "REPRINT" listings you have to scroll through. I still don't get why people make those.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.