Monday, March 29, 2021

"Why Are There People Like Frank in This World?"

I know, I know. Please forgive me this quote from "Blue Velvet", a movie that blew me away when I was 18 years old, and which I saw three times that year in the theaters. It's just that the name Frank triggers it for me, even when used in conjunction with one of my all-time favorite baseball players, Mr. Frank Robinson.

Nah, I never got to see Robinson play - I just got to see him manage the San Francisco Giants a bunch in the early 1980s. When I started up card-collecting a couple years back, and when I realized (from other card bloggers) that player collecting was a thing, Robinson seemed like a guy I'd want to go after. I truly wish I had seen him play in the 60s. When I was growing up, he was known to me as an Oriole, an Indian, and even an Angel at one point - and it was only when I started digging into baseball history that he started to loom large as a Cincinnati Red, where he had many of his most Hall of Fame-worthy years.

Anyway, I'm collecting Robinson now. The affordable cards all came out the past thirty or forty years. Here are some of them that arrived in my hands recently.






3 comments:

  1. My latest COMC purchase was a Frank Robinson card. I bought a refractor from his days of managing the Expos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank Robinson is definitely a bit under appreciated in the hobby. Enjoy picking his cards up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't officially collect Frank Robinson, but do have some cool cards of his. Someday, possibly when prices go back down, I'm gonna buy his '59 Topps card, as I think it's my favorite of his.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.