Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Card Hemorrhage Set Completion Report

2020's been the big year of card collecting for me, my previous dribs & drabs of collecting supercharged by a global pandemic; a temporary job loss (and thus free time for collecting); and a steady stream of Paypal income from selling off a bunch of records. I'll admit that I'd never completed a set before this year, though I'd never actually bought a set in full, either. In 2020, I've done it both the easy way and the hard way - with my biggest and newest collecting goals a long way off.

What you see pictured here is a team set - which counts, far as I'm concerned. It's the 2005 Topps Emerald Nuts San Francisco Giants 30-card set, something I didn't know existed until Fuji sent me my first few cards and I was dazzled by 'em. Look at these. Oh, I know it's hard to truly look at them since I got lazy and took a camera phone photo on a rug, instead of scanning them individually for you - but trust me, they're nice. This particular team corresponds to one of my peak years for "watching the Giants on TV", as we had a toddler and there was a lot of nightly Giants baseball going on while we cared for him. My poor wife. 

Here are the full card sets I've completed this year - and admittedly, it was by buying them outright:

Here are the full team sets I've completed by buying them one by one, or two by two, or by getting them in trades etc:
  • 1969 Topps Seattle Pilots
  • 1971 Topps San Francisco Giants
  • 1972 Topps San Francisco Giants
  • 1975 Topps San Francisco Giants
  • 1981 Topps San Francisco Giants
  • 1981 Fleer San Francisco Giants
  • 2002 Topps Chrome Anaheim Angels
  • 2005 Topps Emerald Nuts San Francisco Giants
  • 2010 Topps Heritage San Francisco Giants
  • 2011 Topps Heritage San Francisco Giants
  • 2012 Topps Heritage San Francisco Giants
  • 2014 Topps Heritage San Francisco Giants
  • 2019 Topps Heritage San Francisco Giants
  • plus every single Oakland Seals/California Golden Seals Topps hockey card, from their debut in 1967 through their demise in 1975-76. Just nailed my last two cards a couple of weeks ago.
I've also completed a few small Giants Allen & Ginter and Gypsy Queen "sets" - a few other 3-8 card team sets snatched from other series, too - but that's really not quite the same thing as cobbling together 20+ cards. I also bought the 1983 Renata Galasso '69 Seattle Pilots card set in one fell swoop, and I'm glad I did. I have several Phoenix Giants minor league sets from the 1970s and a 1985 Mother's Cookies SF Giants team set that I also purchased this way (and man, they were cheap; if you had told me that they could be had for $5-$8 two years ago, I'd have scoffed and instead paid you $35-40). 

It's the thrill of the hunt, the sense of completion - all the things that make an oddball collector an oddball collector. Wear it with pride. Now - in addition to team stuff I'm trying to complete like the 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots and quite a few other SF Giants sets, my laser focus is now turned to 4 sets I'd absolutely love to complete someday:
  • 1965 Topps baseball
  • 1971 Topps baseball
  • 1972 Topps baseball
  • 1976 SSPC baseball
Of these, SSPC seems very attainable, followed by 1972 Topps. It can - and it shall - be done, but it ain't happening this year. The other two goals are barely off the ground; 1965 Topps are amazing, but I have exactly three of them right now. So yeah. That's a bit of a reach. But I know some of you folks have done this and other amazing things with your collection. Maybe tell us all about it in the comments if you wouldn't mind?

6 comments:

  1. Love completing sets, and I enjoy charting my yearly set-completing progress almost as much.

    '71 and '72 are complete for me as is '76 SSPC. But there are so many tasks ahead.

    It's good to have goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on the Rittenhouse WNBA Autographs subsets and also 1979-80 Topps and OPC hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pilots are a solid choice. But my vote goes to the Seals.

    Cardbarrel has a lot of '76 SSPC. Looks like the commons are 16 or 18 cents and the stars cost several dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you! Love those '69 Topps cards. My '69 set is 99.4% complete and I do have all three Seattle Pilots white-letter cards. Good luck to you on getting more sets completed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been busy in 2020. Congratulations on picking up those sets and team sets. Looking forward to seeing more Seals and Golden Seals posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Emerald Nuts cards are fantastic, and I have exactly zero of them in my collection (though I do have a few waiting in my COMC cart!).

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.