Thursday, September 17, 2020

Turns Out I Bought One of These Things

I figured you guys were all doing it, why not me? Plus Ichiro Suzuki is one of my guys. 2020 has been my biggest year of card accumulation since my youth (pandemic-driven, I'd imagine), and the big thing this year has been the Topps 2020 project, so...?

Ordered it for $19.99 from Topps something like two months ago, and it just arrived in the mail this week. It's Ichiro card #169. Artwork by Blake Jamieson. I think it looks real, real nice. So of course after all the get-rich-quick stories that were proliferating about these cards, I had to go and look up on eBay what this card was going for on the secondary market, and.......well. Turns out it's lost value already. It can easily be picked up for ten bucks. I guess that trend is over with, isn't it?

Anyway, it comes housed in its own special plastic box, itself housed in a paper sleeve holder-thing. The card itself is nice & thick, like it holds a collectable coin or a piece of uniform or something. I probably won't be buying any more of these Topps 2020s but I reckon I picked one of the better ones, looks-wise. You guys grab any of these recently?

3 comments:

  1. This is a cool card. Just added a few copies to my eBay watch list. I'll pick one up if it sells in my price range. So far I've bought 7 of these cards. One was one eBay for a significant discount. The other 6 I picked up as pairs on the Topps website. However after seeing that these can typically be picked up for less on eBay, I'm no longer going to buy them directly from Topps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of thinking the same thing. What a difference a few months makes.

      Delete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.