Friday, September 25, 2020

From the Idiot Files

It's time once again for some scans of my recent "idiot acquisitions". As mentioned before, I started pulling together cards of strange-looking players, batters popping up and guys diving out of the way of pitches because Dime Boxes Nick was doing such a great job championing them. It became clear that it was exceptionally easy and cheap to pull together some of the most idiotic cards ever produced, and have a lot of fun in the process. No section of my collection gives me a greater sense of satisfaction when I rifle through it.

The cards we'll be looking at together today were mostly inspired by recent posts on the Infield Fly Rule blog. Whenever I see a bit of idiotic glory like this 1992 Leaf Joe Oliver card, I pounce by dropping yet another $0.18 card in my CardBarrel shopping cart. Once enough idiots and normal needs have been acquired to jack me up past the "free shipping" point - which I think is $30 - I click the buy button. 

Thankfully it's not just Joe Oliver this time, though he's up top here for a reason. I'm also pretty impressed with another one I learned about on Infield Fly Rule, and that's creepy Mike Armstrong on his 1983 Topps card:


I mean, I'm not the first to notice the serial killer vibe on this one, but how do you like the double photos, each as menacing as the other? Jeez Mike, smile much? 

The rest are rather more pedestrian in their idiocy. I'm proud to call them my own. See if you can spot the Hall of Famer in this batch! No, it's not Jose Offerman, folks.




5 comments:

  1. LOL. Rickey.

    Anyway, it's $25 for free shipping on CardBarrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Joe Oliver is really great, hopefully though it's not his only baseball card, then it would kind of be a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! Armstrong looks like if Kip from "Napolean Dynamite" was trying to look intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome call Trevor! I wonder how often his friends and family teased him about that card.

      Delete
  4. Two from the same set! That's got to count for something.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.