Friday, February 19, 2021

Nate Colbert, Early Padres Dude

Long before Trevor Hoffman, before Tony Gwynn, even before Randy Jones, there was Nate Colbert - the first San Diego Padres "star", and pretty much the first Padre to be recognized on more than just his one de rigeur Topps baseball card each year. He made all-star teams; he hit home runs; he gave San Diego someone to cheer for during 1969 and first half of the 70s.

He's also a player I collect. A little easier than some modern players, for sure, but one thing that's very sobering is to go onto the Trading Card Database (i.e. tcdb.com), look up a player whom you "thought" you had all the cards for, and then realize you're not even close. Well, I'm a little closer with Colbert now. Spent a bit of time on online sites trying to pick up a few that I didn't have recently, and grabbed these 5 - including the Milton Bradley game card thing to your left.

According to my research, there are 11 normally-sized (I hate odd-sized) Nate Colbert cards I don't yet have, and they're on this player want list here. Please let me know if you've got extras of any of these sitting around, not doing you much good...!




3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you already know, but Gavin has a really impressive collection of him too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, yeah.. I was just about to throw a link to my latest Colbert Report: https://baseballcardbreakdown.blogspot.com/2020/04/nate-colbert-report-2020-edition.html

    Nice bunch of cards! I'll try to check my dupes to see if I can help you with any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool collection. I know very little about him, but cool to see a few of you collecting his cards.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.