Thursday, February 11, 2021

New Player Collection Underway: Max Fried

Every year I unearth a few new heroes from all my hours of watching postseason baseball. This past bizarre, pandemic-shortened year, I watched a ton of the NLCS, ALCS and World Series. The three guys that "popped" for me as new faves were Randy Arozarena of the Rays - me and everyone else, that is; Brusdar Graterol of the Dodgers (yeah, a Dodger!), and especially pitcher Max Fried of the Braves. The latter has absolutely electrifying stuff, and I have a feeling he's got a Cy Young and a World Series title in his immediate future. I decided to collect the guy.

I like that he's a disciple of Sandy Koufax, and grew up in LA worshipping the (legend of) the guy. I like that he went Harvard-Westlake School in Los Angeles, where he wore uniform # 32 in honor of Koufax and played with fellow MLB pitchers Lucas Giolito and Jack Flaherty - on his high school team...! I like that he was drafted by the Padres out of high school way back in 2012, and that he looks like a high school kid on all his early cards.

I like that he now plays for the Braves, a team I've always cottoned to since the days of WTBS being a cable station we got at home, and watching Bob Hoerner and Dale Murphy on the late 70s Atlanta Braves every late afternoon - a team that I often got to see on TV more than my own San Francisco Giants. I like that he missed the entire 2015 season recovering from Tommy John, and now he's totally dealing.

I also dig Max Fried's cards, at least some of the ones I've been accumulating. Thought you might want to check a few of them out.











4 comments:

  1. That's just crazy that Flaherty, Giolito, and Fried were all part of the same starting rotation. It blew my mind when I heard that on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "cottoned to" when referring to a team in Georgia. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know he had Padres cards.

    Enjoy your new PC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has a card in the most recent Sports Illustrated for Kids. You might be able to find it at retail still.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.