Monday, February 22, 2021

What's On Your Tombstone?

Got this great 1994 Tombstone Pizza set - all but one of the 30 cards - from trading pal Dave S in California. It was put out by Score in conjunction with the pizza chain Tombstone, a place that I know is out there somewhere near me - or used to be - but that I've yet to patronize. I remember a radio ad that ended with "What's on your Tombstone?". For me, that'd be mushrooms, sausage and olives. (**see comments below, but Trevor reminded me that Tombstone is/was NOT a pizza chain, but a brand of frozen pizza).

They cobbled together 30 of the MLB's bigger stars in 1993-94 and made a great 30-card set giveaway, each individual card in a plain white wrapper. My assumption is that you needed to get quite a few pizzas going to get the whole set, but thanks to Dave, I'm 29/30ths of the way there.

I very much enjoy food-issued cards and am willing to take a bit of a backstep away from my "no junk wax-era cards" stance to enjoy this set from Tombstone. 

Here are some of the sluggers and hurlers in the set!








6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure Tombstone is still around, but it is actually a brand of frozen pizzas. I remember pulling the frozen cellophane containing a card off of the pizza when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah - you're right! It's not a chain at all. Now I remember seeing these at the grocery store.

      Delete
  2. Like the logo on the front. Not all the food issues do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool set. Don't think I've ever had Tombstone pizza, but I'd give it a try if they sold cards with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm digging the black border with green trim - pretty nice design overall.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.