Thursday, January 21, 2021

Card Hemorrhage Hockey Card Update

One of the reasons I don't really do much hockey cards collectin' - despite being a big fan of the sport - is that I've come to realize that most of the card designs themselves are just hideous. I blame Upper Deck and O-Pee-Chee, sure, but I also blame the lack of imagination of the grand majority of the other brands as well, dating all the way back to the 70s. I mean, look at this stuff. It's the most razzle-dazzle, color-overloaded shiny garbage imaginable, and it's really kept me away from the stuff.

So when I decided to dip a real toe into hockey card accumulation - which I documented here and here - I really only had two major goals: to collect every single Topps card ever made of the Oakland Seals / California Golden Seals - which I did! - and to collect the entire 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee World Hockey Association set. I only have three left of those to track down. 

After, that I was high and dry. Bereft. In need of inspiration - and a set to collect. I said, well - is there such a thing as "Topps Heritage" cards in the hockey card world? Turns out there used to be, and it's a real dilly of a set! In fact, Topps Heritage Hockey 2001-02 is exactly what I was looking for (they did two other Heritage sets, the year before and the year after, but they're not as cool as these). Just so happens around that time - 2001-02 - my hockey-mania was totally off the charts, and I went to 6 or 7 San Jose Sharks game each year; watched every one of their games on TV and followed both the team and the league religiously. 

So yeah, I decided to pick up the entire 187-card set, best as I could. I actually know and remember pretty much every player in the set. Here are a few random others from it:




Now that's what a hockey card should look like, folks. Any modern set that looks vintage and clean like these, I'm all-in. I don't know enough about hockey cards to say for sure....but are there any others this cool? Even small, Canadian-only sets? Let me know and I'll investigate.

But wait! There's a newer set I totally dig as well. 2019-20 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Hockey Retro looks pretty snazzy and it actually has dudes that are playing, like, now:




So I'm going after this 100-card set as well. May take me a while, but they're pretty nice, right? Reminds me that I bought some Topps Hockey cards that year that Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel both debuted; I guess that was 4 years ago...? I didn't pull the McDavid, but I got the Eichel in a pack - and then saw that their rookie cards were going for insane prices on eBay. I put the Eichel up for $85 and it sold in minutes. Wow. 

Finally, there's this related 2019-20 O-Pee-Chee Platinum set. I think I bought a small batch of these by mistake on eBay. It's better-looking than most sets, but I don't think it's really the vibe I'm going for in my hockey card collection. I don't know. Besides, there are multiple confusing variations of each of these cards, all with the same card numbers, and....jeez. I can't handle it. Baseball cards are so much easier to figure out, right? Anyway, here are a few of those. What is Max Jones doing here again?!? See you next time, folks.




2 comments:

  1. Heritage hockey? Who would have thought. That Messier is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Heritage Nabby is a great looking card. Loved that era of Sharks hockey. Owen Nolan, Patrick Marleau, Mike Rathje, Marco Sturm, Marcus Ragnarsson, Mike Ricci, and of course Nabokov. Good times.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.