Monday, January 4, 2021

Some New Topps '72s

Everyone's on pins and needles in 2021 because this'll be the year that Topps Heritage baseball mimics the fabled Topps 1972 design. It's scheduled to come out on March 3rd, 2021, so start digging into those couch folds, folks. Meanwhile, the real 1972 Topps baseball set remains as glorious as ever. I'm making my way through the 787-card set, buying 10 cards or so at a time, and getting several others arriving in trades etc. 

Even when I was a young kid, buying 25-cent packs of 1977 Topps at the 7-11 on La Riviera Drive in Sacramento, CA, the 1972 set looked really "old" to me and from another world. A friend or perhaps his older brother might have a few of these in his collection - and yes, it's true, some kids back then really did put cards in the spokes of their bikes. I've never owned any '72s until last year, when I realized just how rewarding it might be to slowly and carefully accumulate these gems.

I got a few new ones last week, scanned 'em up, and figured I'd drop them on the Card Hemorrhage blog in case you wanted to take a look.





4 comments:

  1. Dang. The one year I'm excited about Heritage... there's a chance I won't find any on the shelves at Target. Just my luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t even think about that. I’d be more exited if Archives didn’t use ‘72 recently, I think. Still, should be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to get fired up over this set. I'd like to find a few packs, but otherwise just my Dodgers please.

    I have completed the '72 set so 2021 Heritage ain't gonna top that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pickups. I'm only about 85 cards away from completing this set.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.