Saturday, July 4, 2020

Card Blogs vs. Card Twitter

I'm definitely not the first to make this observation - in fact, Dime Boxes was spot-on about it just a few posts ago - but man, the tonal differences I've been seeing between card blogs and "cards Twitter" are pretty vast. Whereas the former seems to have a "rising tide lifts all boats / we're all in this together / I'll help you, you help me" sort of low-stakes collector ethos, in which the point is to both personally and collectively celebrate the hobby, the latter is all about BREAKS and ACT FAST and ROOKIES and RESALE and other unsavory things. If I may - can I use the word "douchy", perhaps? In the Twitter world, it's all about nailing (and then maybe flipping) a GAVIN LUX or a WANDER FRANCO or a CASEY MIZE card - except no first names allowed, because of course we all already know about these rookies who have barely sniffed the major leagues. LUX. FRANCO. MIZE. BART. "I just nailed an autographed LUX, bitches! Yeeeeahh! $249 if u want it now".

Include me out. I definitely prefer the more navel-gazing, contemplative world of the true collector/accumulator, and I reckon I've found that world here on the blogs. This is all my way of introducing my new LUX and FRANCO cards that I was able to procure on eBay for not a great deal of money. A few months back I wrote this and this bemused post about Onyx 2020 cards. I really like these cards, honestly, but I don't want to pay the proverbial king's ransom for them. I'm certainly not buying them to get rich somewhere down the road, as if that could happen anyway with a baseball card. My 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky is probably only about a $500 card now anyway, and it's looking like my mother probably threw that one away back in the mid-80s.

But these Onyx cards are cool, right? One of these fellas becomes a superstar someday, great. So I got the Wander Franco and Gavin Lux cards to go with the ones in my previous blog posts, then added someone who plays in my favorite team's minor league organization whom I've never heard of: Alexander Canario of the San Francisco Giants ballclub. 99 cents on eBay. I think he might be the next Mike Trout. FLIP IT!!


9 comments:

  1. I got into blogging and trading with other bloggers way before I joined Twitter fairly recently and I'm fortunate I did so because your comparison is spot on. Bloggers collect for fun and the blind trading is my favorite part of it. The folks that want to rip and sell can do whatever they like, but things are much more fun and relaxed for me on this side! Also, those Oynx cards look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitter has lots of weirdos. Some good people here and there. But mostly weirdos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The designs of those are most excellent. I thought I liked the pennant ones more, but the "premium" one at the top of the post is growing on me.
    The more I following "sports card Twitter" the more I'm happy I haven't given up on my blog and blogger trading. We're all individuals, and we all operate differently, but blogging and bling blogging trades is my speed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You opened my eyes to Oynx. I finally picked up a Bart. My budget cuts won't allow me to chase down guys like Lux or Franco.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To run a blog successfully, you have to want to write. It takes a different kind of person to want to write, someone introspective, someone who can relate to others, understand others.

    People exclusively on Twitter don't get that. They don't like to write, some of them don't even like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this--this is a perfect comparison!

      Delete
  6. I greatly dislike Twitter, but I maintain it because it's the best place to get live sports news. I find the vast majority of it to be a cesspool. Blogs are great. They are run by people who actually care about the hobby, not flipping. (With a couple exceptions...but I don't read them or comment on them)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting observation and I don't have a Twitter account. Blogs satisfy my interaction with other collectors..some great folks on here. Sounds like a lot of people are of the same mindset too as you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are too many twits on Twitter...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.