Monday, July 6, 2020

A Completed 2019 Allen & Ginter, My Way

Most of my collecting is focused around the San Francisco Giants, as I'm sure I've made more than clear on too many occasions. I'm kind of working backward and forward at the same time - trying to build up complete Giants sets from 2020 on back to appx. 2002 or so, the skipping the 90s entirely, and then going backward again from 1981 all the way to 1969. Why 1969 as a backward stopping point? Well, it starts getting pretty expensive from there, given hall-of-famers Mays, McCovey, Marichal and Cepeda - but I'm going to do the best I can. Right now I'm concentrating much more on the Giants that came in Topps sets this past decade - the Topps sets that I like, which are mainly Heritage, Gypsy Queen and Allen & Ginter.

So a nice "success" for me is gathering a 7-card SF Giants collection from a set like, say, 2019 Allen & Ginter - which I have now done. The only short-print card in the bunch is this Orlando Cepeda card you see here. The other six are relatively easy-n-cheap base cards. Of the 7 cards, only 4 of the guys still play organized baseball, with the other three being the aforementioned Giants legends. Totally cool with that. It's nice to so easily procure a "complete set" and to have these gems to have, hold and appreciate from here to eternity.

4 comments:

  1. Just curious... why are you skipping the 90's? Loved watching guys like Will Clark, Robby Thompson, Matt Williams, Barry Bonds, and Rod Beck back at Candlestick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly because I don't like 90s cards. Nor 80s cards. There are definitely some exceptions, but for whatever reason my tastes tend to run toward the last 20 years and then anything before the 1980s.

      Delete
    2. Oh I see. Those are two of my favorite decades... but I completely understand. Different strokes for different folks.

      Delete
  2. Someone had identified what ballpark that is in the Cepeda card with the building behind the grandstand. Couldn't remember, but I found the old Facebook post about it. It's Hilltop Park, where the Highlanders/Yankees played until 1912.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.