Saturday, July 11, 2020

Frank Robinson, Now and Forever

Frank Robinson was not one of the players I set out to collect when I initially set out to collect players. He never played for my team, he just happened to manage the Giants during a few of my peak early years as a baseball fan. We weren't very good then, and that was OK. Most people didn't blame Frank - it was just the natural state of affairs with the early 80s San Francisco Giants.

A few months ago I came across some Robinson cards of him looking like a badass superstar in his Reds uniform, and I reckoned that maybe Robinson would be a good guy to collect. He's one of those players who has several tribute cards made for him every year, as you'll see as you scroll down this post. Of course, those recent cards are the easiest and least expensive to collect, and some of them look magnificent. I picked up a big boatload of them via CardBarrel and SportLots recently, and thought you might want to take a look-see.

Before we do that, a few credentials for Frank Robinson the player. Two-time MVP, once in each league. Hall of Famer. NL Rookie of the Year in 1956. Player/Manager for a Cleveland Indians in the 1970s. 1972 member of the Los Angeles Dodgers, which is something I'd completely forgotten (!). I'm working on grabbing his "regular" Topps and Bowman cards next - yeah, the pricey ones from the 50s and 60s (Good/Poor OK!). Great, on to some more recent Robinson cards:









2 comments:

  1. Love those first year framed cards from Gypsy Queen. At one point I wanted to collect both sets (green and brown), haven't looked for new ones in forever but I'm probably more than halfway to each. Nice start to a Robinson collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that framed GQ parallel. The 2011 Heritage insert stood out too... with how Topps colorized the shirts of some of the fans in the background.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.