Thursday, September 30, 2021

Some of Your 1963 San Francisco Giants

I made a little trip to Lefty's Sports Cards over this past weekend - my "LCS", if you will. They actually advertise on TV now (!) - sponsorships during San Francisco Giants telecasts. That's really a sign of the times, isn't it? When I first started going there a couple years back, I assumed that if they weren't actively losing money, they were barely making it. Then the pandemic happened. Then people (like me) upped their card-collecting obsessions. Now we've got leverage buyouts and IPOs and card bros and Lefty's Sports Cards advertising on TV. They even just upgraded their AOL-era website.

I still can't believe they won't let me rifle through their boxes of, say, 1972 Topps, and I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not just a pandemic thing. Maybe letting people handle the merch is detrimental to, say, selling those same cards online. Maybe I should ask them if that's the case. It's not as fun to go in as it used to be, though, when I'd just head in and say, "Show me your 1965 Topps!" or whatever, and a box would come out thirty seconds later. 

One thing that is fun about going there still are the books of San Francisco Giants cards they'll still let you look at. I ticked off a bunch of 1963 needs on Saturday - 7 to be exact. No heavy hitters like Mays, McCovey nor Marichal, but in time, my friends, in time. This was the team that were the reigning National League Champions, having just lost a 7-game World Series heartbreaker to the New York Yankees in October 1962, I thought you might wanna have a look at some of them.






3 comments:

  1. Ernie Bowman's photo at the Polo Grounds makes me wonder who played there for the Giants as a visitor (SF Giants vs NY Mets) and for the home team (NY Giants). Willie Mays, of course. Not sure who else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things about Lefty's that I find interesting. The first is they won't let you look through their vintage boxes. Never heard of a card shop not interested in letting their customers see their cards. The other thing is they have more candy on their website than cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Kuenn is a guy I've heard of.

    Bolin pitched for the Pilots, but I only know that through collecting.

    I believe the Giants are the visiting team in the novel version of the Cincinnati Kid. It takes place in St. Louis, so the Cardinals are the home team.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.