Monday, September 27, 2021

The Accidental Buster Posey Collection

I've kept it no secret that I am a partisan fan of the San Francisco Giants baseball club. Collect the club's cards, and start trading with folks who know of your partisan affiliation, and pretty soon you're going to have a nice heaping helping of Buster Posey cards, whether you like it or not. 

I, of course, very much appreciate what Buster Posey has meant for the club, from 2010 until this very day. He's a legend, a team hall of famer and quite possibly a Baseball Hall of Famer as well. He's been the rock and anchor of these team for 11 years, even in those weird years of 2018-2020 where he really "just wasn't very good anymore" or took the pandemic year off. Here he is in 2021, totally on fire and a team catalyst to boot. Giants pitchers love him; opposing baserunners (usually) don't; and the dude is 34 and about to end a phenomenal season hitting over .300, in a year when hardly anyone's hitting over .300.

He just doesn't really do it for me in a baseball card sense. No, I like collecting the Giants who were total crowd-pleasers, or goofballs, or were the heroes of my youth. My main Giants players collections are Pablo Sandoval, Tim Lincecum, Hunter Pence, Willie McCovey, Jack Clark - and, for some reason, Greg Minton. Guys like Posey, Crawford and Belt just don't rate that way. I love 'em, but not in the baseball card sense.

Yet of course I have a large Buster Posey collection anyway. I'm happy about that. I've starting putting aside any of his cards that I get in trades into a special "Buster Posey" section in a box, as one does. The only time I've ever bought a Posey card is when it's been part of a team set I'm collecting, such as every Topps Heritage Giants set from 2010 through this year. Otherwise, everything - including the ones in this post (save for 1) are from trades.

Here are my ten favorite Buster Posey cards sitting in that special section. The one you see above is a shiny 2019 Panini Optic card, #MVP-13. The one below is my favorite, and the only one I paid for. It's from 2013 Topps Archives and a 15-card insert set called "Gallery of Heroes", Each card is translucent and replicates the look of stained glass. Seriously, it's one of my favorite cards anywhere.


Here's a 2020 Donruss I really like as well. Just got this during the week from Kerry of Cards on Cards blog.


This is also a newish holographic gem insert from Topps 2020:


And here are the other six cards that round out the Accidental Buster Posey Collection Top Ten:






4 comments:

  1. I have a bit of an accidental Posey collection too. For some reason, I am often able to find beautiful looking Posey cards for cheap at my local card show. But I don't have that Gallery of Heroes! I agree with you, those are awesome, and I will snap up any of them I see, regardless of who the player is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's not just that year, either, is it? I have an Ichiro one, too, but it's not from 2013.

      Delete
  2. Being a catchers card guy, Posey has definitely been fun to watch, and, on occasions, get his cards, via trades, RAK, or on eBay.

    There's a Project 70 card of Buster that O have on my radar, and hopefully, I'll have it sooner that later.

    Good Job.👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've liked Posey for a few years. He's a great leader and seems to have a nice personality. I'm glad he's stayed in San Francisco his entire career... and hopefully he plays the rest of his days here in the Bay.

    I've built a small collection of his over the years. I'll probably sell all of his graded rookie cards while they're hot and just hold onto the raw copies.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.