Thursday, September 23, 2021

This Week's Random Smattering

New cards have been arriving from parts beyond. Places you've heard of, like eBay and CardBarrel. Trading friends. Good Americans (sometimes even Canadians). I'd like to go hit up a card show but the one this weekend, ten minutes from my house, was cancelled. OK then! Here we go with the mail!

How about Wander Franco? This kid came up to the Rays and got on base 39 games in a row before getting hurt a couple of weeks ago. You're about to see him in the playoffs. This is from the 2021 Topps Pro Debut series - card # PD-1. Top prospect in all of baseball? I think so. 

I'm coming to terms with the Tampa Bay Rays. Small-market team, prone to innovation, out-thinking just about everyone else; ahead of the Yankees and Red Sox. Hard not to love them, even with the bullpenning and all the guys hitting .238 and yet still winning 2/3rds of their games. 

Got a few other 2021 Pro Debut fellas as well. All Giants. Remember their names!




Speaking of Giants, I went to see the Low-A San Jose Giants a couple weeks ago. The star of the team is a kid names Luis Matos. I have his 2020 Topps Heritage Minors card as well, but the only other one I could find online that I could afford is this one. Of course it's a Panini:


Here are some other new things that I grabbed in my CardBarrel order. All players I collect - new stuff; Topps Chromes and inserts:





It wouldn't be a normal week without a great envelope or envelopes from Ken in Missouri, the king of the traders. He sent me these 3 players I collect as well, plus a great bonus 1962 Post Cereal card for San Francisco Giants Jose Pagan (not to be confused with Angel).




5 comments:

  1. Is the Cardinals' stadium that close to the Arch? The Arch is right next to the freeway, so I drove past it. But I don't remember there being a stadium there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing - is that photoshopped? Seems like in 40+ years of watching baseball I'd have known the Arch was right outside of the ballpark....

      Delete
  2. Matos was fun to watch this summer. I've gotta track down one of his cards. The other guy who looked good was Jairo Pomares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool - glad you caught some games. I saw Matos pop a home run in my only SJ Giants game this year.

      Delete
  3. I have yet to snag any 2021 Pro Debut yet, but I hope to.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.