Saturday, August 8, 2020

Big Fan of the 1972s Over Here

Hey gang, sorry it's been a good 10-11 days since I last checked in over here. We were spinning off a card-themed blog post every couple of days, and then life kind of happened. Got busy at work; you know, that sort of thing. Anyway! Still accumulating the cards. No worries! Well folks, I'll admit I've never collected a complete, 600+ card set of anything so far. I'm most interested in piecing together 1972 Topps baseball, card by card. It's everyone's favorite set, right? I'm still way early in the game here - maybe 15% of the way there? - and very much pulling in any '72 Topps card I can find.

Two reasons why I love this one so much. First, the obvious: the art deco/Hollywood movie marquee design. The colors, the photos, the borders - everything about this set just looks first-rate and exceptionally retro as well. The "In Action" cards of many of the stars and non-stars are also awesome. The other main reason is that 1972 captures an era in baseball that fascinates me, one in which 1950s players like Willie Mays and Frank Robinson and Vada Pinson are all still going somewhat strong, while playing with young guys that are more from my era (late 70s) like Cesar Cedeno and Nolan Ryan. A "bridge year", if you will.

I've mostly got low-number 1972 cards so far, with a few higher-numbers sprinkled in. Long way to go. I did collect the entire 1972 Topps San Francisco Giants team set, so there's that. Here are a few others I scanned for ya.....Bud Harrelson mostly because I read a book about him (!) as a kid - checked it out at the library - called Bud Harrelson, Super Shortstop. A real page-turner! Andy Etchebarren because of the monobrow. Dock Ellis because, you know, Dock Ellis. The others just because.








7 comments:

  1. Love this set. Have fun with those high numbers. They drove me to eBay where I cheated and bought a complete set. I'll dig through my vintage extras and see if I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep it's a real winner. The high series is brutal but it's all about enjoying the pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this design so much but I'm still disappointed that the player position wasn't included on the front. I'm still 129 cards short of completing this set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am guessing this set will be very popular next year in conjunction with 2021 Heritage. Hope the team fonts come out the same, and am really curious if the team name "Diamondbacks" will be completely spelled out!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.