Monday, November 9, 2020

New 1972s From My LCS

Yesterday I nailed 14/787ths of the 1972 Topps set I'm working on completing. It came from a Sunday afternoon visit to Lefty's Card Shop in beautiful Burlingame, California, and a hankering I had to look through their hall of famer binders to see what sort of '72s I could afford. I was able to pull 14 once or future superstars from their binders, and I focused my efforts for the most part on VG+ or even a fair "Fair"-graded cards, such was their affordability when doing so.

I rang up a few true dudes in the process, as you'll see. Here's Joe Morgan, who recently passed away, looking tough in an Astros uniform. Looking at his stats for 1971, Joe was nobody's idea of a future hall of famer, nor had he really been anything particularly special earlier in his Houston career. He hit .256, with 13 homers and 56 RBI. And no, there was no OBP nor BABIP nor WAR on his card in 1972. A few years later he'd be a world champion with the Reds. Twice. 

I'm still working on accumulating a ton of commons and a few big hitters in my quest for all 787 of the 1972 cards. Here's how it's going so far, and here are a few others I was able to add on a rainy afternoon in Burlingame.








3 comments:

  1. Great pickups! The '72 In-Actions are pretty darn close to perfect baseball cards, if such a thing exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 72 set is a beast! But looks like you're slowly chipping away at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this set so much. My set is 88% complete but it's been slow going because I only like to obtain NM ones.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.