Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way

Everything in my card-collectin' career to date has propelled me toward accumulating the six 1974 Topps "Hank Aaron Special" cards that kicked off the base set that year. Player whom I can (barely) remember from his playing days? Check. (I was six when he broke Babe Ruth's home run record). Beautiful cards that are relatively inexpensive? Absolutely. Baseball cards on baseball cards? I want in.

Like I said, Topps #1-6 were all tributes to Hank Aaron, who'd break that HR record on April 8th, 1974 when the new season began. I have #2-6, which I'll display for you presently. #1 is roughly in the $7-$10 range where I've seen it, and I just haven't sprung for it yet - and it doesn't have baseball cards on it, either. The backs of each of these provide a guide to some of Aaron's milestone moments; his best stats; memorable dingers that he hit, and so on.

A truly iconic player, and some truly iconic cards.




3 comments:

  1. Yeah, those are great. Might have inspired me to chase them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Classics. I have all five "specials" from when I was a kid (not exactly gem mint, but that's OK), but I never did get #1, the "new all-time home run king' card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember seeing these as a kid and thinking they were really cool. They were kinda like the MVPs subset the following year. You could pick up classic cards on a budget. I remember Topps also produced the Pete Rose subset in 1986. I wonder if they did these sort of cards any other year.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.