Thursday, March 26, 2020

Hide the Cards, The Wife’s Coming

I’m one of the now-almost archetypal middle-aged males who has “returned” to the pastime of baseball card accumulation after several decades away from it. Let me just say that quite a bit has changed since the early 1980s, the last time in which I spent a sum of money on baseball cards, and a time in which I was 13-14 years old. (I believe I aged out of card collecting around my 14th year, which would have been 1981-1982, about the time that Topps was joined by Fleer and Donruss, and things got pretty hectic out there).

I totally missed the gold-digging craze that followed. I even drifted away from ravenous baseball fandom itself for most of the 1990s, coming back in hot when my beloved San Francisco Giants made a run for their first World Series championship in 2002. You may recall that they did not in fact win one that year, and that it took another eight years for SF to take the first of their three crowns. Well before that time, I was again the same baseball obsessive I’d been in my youth. 

Having kept tabs a bit of the evolution of baseball cards during that time, I had a sense that once the speculation bubble had popped, there were new and interesting ways in which to engage with cardboard. Buying full boxed sets was out; collecting individual players or team sets or thematic variations of one’s choosing was in. This excited me. I got the sense that perhaps I could return to the unbridled collecting passion of my youth in any way, shape or form I deemed appropriate. I could spend mere pennies to create sets of my heroes; I could chase limited-edition special high-number varietals; I could buy cards that had slices of some dude’s uniform in them; I could sit back and do nothing at all. My choice. My rules. 

With that in mind, I dove back in during this past year. My favorite player as a kid was Jack Clark. That’s his 1978 Topps card you see here. The ‘78 Giants were an absolute delight: in first place nearly the entire year, which happened to be the first year I really launched my mania for the sport. There’s a new book that’s partially about their season here. It truly was as exciting as author Lincoln Mitchell makes it out to be. Clark, Willie McCovey, Vida Blue and others nearly pulled off an epic dethroning of the hated Dodgers and the less-hated Reds in a year that they really had no right to be that good. My allegiance to these men and gods was forever cemented accordingly. 

Thus, I started my collecting rebirth with a notion to collect some of my favorite players of all time:
    Jack Clark 
    Pablo Sandoval 
    Greg Minton (yeah, seriously - we can talk about this in another post) 
    Rennie Stennett (same) 
    Ichiro Suzuki 
    Vladimir Guerrero
    Willie McCovey 

    These are the sets I'm building up now, among others. As much as I love the baseball team from San Francisco, I’ve also collected some Giants and non-Giants teams. I’ve bought random cards and packs and lots and whatnot. I’ll be sharing many of them here. 

    I sincerely hope you bookmark this site and come back often.

    15 comments:

    1. Welcome to the blogging community! I'll add yours to my blog roll!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Welcome to the world of blogging and to the return of the hobby. OK so I'm a little late on this one. I saw a post about your blog on "The Lost Collector" blog. My card blog can be found at https://captkirk42.blogspot.com/ and my Exclusive Washington DC Baseball card blog is https://curlywcards.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    3. Fellow Rennie Stennett fan here.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Outstanding. He had some monster games for the Giants when I was a kid that don't show up in his yearly stats. Always seemed to have a great attitude and did many of the right things.....just loved the guy, but looking up his career line on some of these cards, I'm like, "THIS guy...?"

        Delete
    4. Welcome! I'm an A's fan personally... but I collect a few Giants and the majority of my students who watch baseball are Giants fans. Do you live in the Bay Area?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yes, I live in San Francisco and grew up in the greater Bay Area. Also enjoy the A's and just finished the outstanding Jason Terbow book about the 70s/Charlie Finley A's a few days ago....essential read if you haven't checked it out.

        Delete
      2. Very cool. I'm in San Jose. Do you ever go to the Serramonte Mall Card Show?

        Btw... I have a card blog too called The Chronicles of Fuji. Here's a link:

        http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/

        Delete
    5. Was reading the TLC's post today and he mentioned you. Welcome, welcome, welcome!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Ha. Minton was an All-Star in 1982 and is a member of the Giants Wall of Fame. Stennett is the weird one here.

      I collected during the junk era. So I have a lot of cards that aren't worth anything.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're right, Elliptical Man. Minton (and for a while, Lavelle) were gold out of the bullpen. Plus he was the "Moon Man". Just seems entirely forgotten by many and perhaps a strange one to collect.....maybe not; perhaps you've got some obscure players you're chasing? I'm thinking of building a Travis Ishikawa collection, for what it's worth.

        Delete
    7. Like everyone else: welcome! Hope you enjoy your re-entry into collecting. You have a great attitude about it based on what you wrote in this post!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Welcome and enjoy getting back into collecting!

      ReplyDelete
    9. Always good to see another blog start up. Welcome to the community!

      ReplyDelete

    Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.