Saturday, March 28, 2020

Billy Ripken's Boner

Even during the many years that I was not collecting baseball cards, there were a few cards I became familiar with via general social media osmosis or via blogs I've followed over the past twenty-ish years. Once I jumped back into the fray, there were a few of them that made my must-own list.

One is this 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken card. It's one of the most hallowed "error" cards of all time. There's an entire article about the thing here. Wait, there's an entire website about this card here. I've gathered that folks who couldn't care less about baseball cards absolutely love this one. And why wouldn't they?

The CNBC article says "First reports estimated that there were about 3,000 cards featuring the full obscenity, but it is believed that there were actually more than 100,000 of them that hit the market". Well, I have one of them now. Subsequent versions of this blacked out the bottom of his bat. How lame would you feel to only have one of those? I didn't want to be that guy, and got myself my own Fuck Face card while I had a few extra shekels in my wallet.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogs! I've interviewed the photographer for that card - interesting story behind it. https://borosny.blogspot.com/2010/12/interview-with-longtime-fleer.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iconic card. It took me a few decades... but I finally picked up one for my collection a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the exact same thing a couple of years ago. Had to have this card the way it was meant to be seen. Glad you got one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just felt important for me to own this one as a token of my return to collecting baseball cards. Something I missed during my time off.

      Delete
  4. Agreed, this one's pretty classic. I've added your blog to my blogroll which serves as my daily reading list, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.