Monday, March 30, 2020

Another Little Piece Of My Uniform

I'll admit it - I'm already suckered into collecting bits of used player uniform stuck into insert cards. They got me. Assuming that it's all real, it's the most tangible connection any of us are going to have to the professional ballfield aside from our yearly visits to our respective FanFests. "Game-used" - and hopefully "post-game washed"?

When I bought my 2017 and 2020 Topps Heritage hobby boxes - the latter just a few weeks ago now - I was anticipating the moment in which I'd tear open a pack and find a Trout or a Betts or even an Otani game-worn uniform insert. Perhaps it would be autographed. Maybe I'd be sunning myself in Bora Bora right about now with that autographed Trout uni.

Hell, I'd even take a Dodger - Bellinger, Kershaw, whomever. Yet with all due respect to these guys, my two respective uniform inserts were probably the two lamest in the entire collection. Victor Martinez? Rhys Hoskins? Hoskins hit .226 last year. Martinez is now retired, but was total dogmeat in 2017 & 2018 before he bowed out. Hoskins may end up being a superstar - they say the kid's got talent - but man, I'll admit I was hoping to do a little better than this.

That said, having some lower-tier stars in these series is good for me overall. It's how I've accumulated a few Pablo Sandoval uniform pieces, even one during his infamous Red Sox days (not that there were very many of those). Pablo's my hero, and you'll be hearing a bunch more about him in posts to come. If Martinez or Hoskins is your hero, get in touch and we'll work something out.

9 comments:

  1. I was WAY into jersey cards at one point in my life, but I don't dabble in them much anymore. It was less about the authenticity questions (of which there are many) and more about just the general sameness of them. If I get one in a pack these days it usually goes right into my trade box (and I'll see if I have any there to send you!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick. I may lose interest in these as well; I still have the sense that these might be "rare" and special to someone, but suspect that's not typically the case.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the baseball blog-o-sphere (or whatever it is we are calling it these days)! I've added your blog to my blog roll and I look forward to reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still a big fan of memorabilia cards... even if we have to trust that they're actually game worn. The good news is these days I find stars and hall of famers for $1 or $2 left and right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They weren't a think until I started collecting again, so now they still feel special and mysterious to me despite no longer being rare.

      Delete
  4. I wouldn't mind trading you something for that Rhys Hoskins card if it's still available. Looks like we collect some of the same players, so I might have a few dupes you could use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back around 2002 or 2003 I wrote in to Beckett and asked if they washed the jerseys before cutting them up. The answer was no!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the moderation captcha thing, but it's to keep the spammers out.